Tuesday 23 July 2013

CLASSIC IMAGE: RED IS DEAD!


Still making waves today as one of STAR WARS greatest villains, Ray Park, as the fearless and lethal Darth Maul, poses for an early EPISODE I promotional image. Interestingly, according to the film's second unit director Roger Christian, American actor Benecio Del Toro was originally lined-up to play the role but ultimately backed out when it was discovered that the evil villain would have few lines of dialogue.


“It wasn’t until I had the contact lenses in and I was in the costume that people became a bit funny towards me. You could tell they couldn’t focus on me, and it wasn’t so much because they were scared of me, but because it was just really strange.

“I gave George a certain look for the character and he loved it, and that gave me a basis to how the character should behave. I basically tried not to show any feelings, and just tried to project a sense of terror.”

RAY PARK- STAR WARS UK FAN CLUB JEDI JOURNAL MAGAZINE ISSUE 2.2 - SUMMER 2001

“I think the voice (by Peter Serafinowicz) is excellent. Peter did a great job. His voice really suits the part. My voice may not have been right. I’m not bothered about it. It’s not a big speaking part anyway. It would have felt really good to do everything, but I acted the role, and I did the physical action, so it’s me.”

RAY PARK - STARLOG ISSUE 269 - DECEMBER 1999


No comments: